Monday 9 May 2016

PLEATING & OPTICS

After struggling to create developed optical qualities within my coloured work, without it starting to become too similar, I went back to basics and restricted myself by eliminating colours completely and working soley with black and white.
The elimination of colour allowed me to realise that there was more room to play with shapes and layering
shapes to create similar optical quialities to that from before.

Starting to realise that optical illusions within fabric don't neccessarily have to be 2D, but can also exist as a relief sample was the start of me producing pleated samples. Using thick striped black and cream material, I referred to structures within my yarn wraps to create a pleated pattern. I then started to pull back the pleats in two places running vertically through my material. Stitching onto this with braids of colour from a set stitch on the Pfaff machine allowed a collection to be developed of coloured and black and white relief and 2D embroidery.



Selecting work for portfolio was somewhat challenging as I had to seperate my work into collections to make it easier for them to be paired and composed onto A2 Petersgate. Refining my best work was difficult as I wanted my portfolio to begin to show the development of my work throughout my final year without an explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment