Thursday 19 November 2015

COLOUR EXPLORATION

Colour explorations through my sketchbook became textural and pattern based, painting onto transparent surfaces allowed my drawings to be layered, creating movement in my drawings, emphasising optical effects. The layering of transparent drawings allowed for various end outcomes, exploring with different compositions and placements to decide the most effective outcome.


Exploring my colour palette through yarn wrappings and mixing colour was interesting to see, as my wrappings developed into something more complex. Choosing the most vibrant, contrasting colours from my palette and layering horizontally and vertically across each other created a new surface, almost like a weave,  which was interesting to see as I started to gather ideas for samples, and in a way the wrappings are my samples.

Yarn Wrapping, mixing contrasting colours.
 
Postponing sampling due to further research and inspiration, as I felt that my colour palette needed to become more contemporary and colourful. Keeping my concept and allowing my work to stay personal, I decided to record my journey commuting to uni everyday. This included graffiti; often being ignored, and unappreciated, graffiti is never seen as beautiful, however, it transforms a surface from dull, and boring into a piece of art.

Processing my new colour palette as I did with the last one to create intricate striped digital drawings, created something more similar to that of Michael Kidner's work. Taking inspiration from his technique of structure first and colour second, I have developed my own drawing technique/process.
These are successful drawings as they become optical, creating something beautiful with movement. I want to further add to this optical effect with the use of stitch onto digitally printed drawings, carefully selecting materials to embellish onto.

Michael Kidner (left) | Own Photograph (centre) | Own Digital Drawing (right)



No comments:

Post a Comment