Monday 1 February 2016

COLOUR VS GRAYSCALE

After intensley exploring colour variations, I decided to restrict myself by using grayscale, incuding; black, white, grey and ombre threads to variate the outcomes and effectiveness of the structures and compositions behind the embellishment within my samples.


Colour Vs Grayscale design

The repetitive structures inspired me to explore my yarn wrappings as a sample, using Margo Selby as an inspiration. She often uses ombre wrappings to make her warp, and a process called 'Strie' a term used where colours come in groups of three and alternate to create a graduated stitched effect. Below is this technique created using colour and grayscale to visualise the contrasts and differences with the restrictive colour palettes.
Margo Selby Inspiration | Strie Compositions
Gradually introducing grayscale and neutral colours into my palette enhanced the successfulness of my samples, as the structure was thoroughly planned before stitching out.


Trying to replicate the structures within my yarn wrappings onto Menswear, Suiting fabrics, layering the coloured stitches through the ETHOS software and roatating to create a checked design. The composition is successful as the open pitch on the stitching allows the colours to bleed.

No comments:

Post a Comment