Thursday 4 February 2016

GRAYSCALE

 Utilising sketchbook work to trial colour proportions before commiting to making a fabric was experimental and restrictive using only a grey palette.
As well as constructing yarn wrappings with an ombre effect, I tested what  it would be like to use thin stips of various sample fabrics. The edges created with the material allows the colours to mingle and the added ombre thread is effective on the darker coloured background.

The effectiveness of this inspired me to translate my sketchbook work onto fabric, using spirals onto a polyester chiffon processed through the ETHOS machine. The opacity of the material allowed layering onto various backgrounds creating depth and movement. Although the design was well structured and carefully planned the layering enabled a delicacy.


Changing the pitch of the stitches and composition and scale of design was supposed to create a checked effect using circles. However this wasn't as effective on the chiffon material as it became rigid and awkward. Therefore I decided to cut the seperate suares and stitch them back to another chiffon loosely, creating 'sequins'. This allowed the fluidity and movement to re-evolve. I would like to further experiment with this using various background material, designs, colour and shapes - this would allow me to use my embellishments as a collage similar to that in my sketchbook, whilst aiming further towards a fashion context.







No comments:

Post a Comment