Monday 12 October 2015

INITIAL SAMPLING

Using the keywords, 'beautiful' and 'movement', I produced a sample inspired by my summer placement at Cabbages & Nettles - this consisted of thread covering a dissolvable surface. The sample technique was successful as it created a flimsy structure, movement and personality.
However I would choose next time to take colour inspiration from my yarn wrappings and stitch/couch threads in a linear composition - as steering away from tree bark, and trying not to replicate the colour compositions will allow progression.

First Sample: Free Stitch onto Dissolvable

The digital prints that I produced (inspired by Marit Fujiwara) needed to be broken up to conform a constructive surface. After understanding my photographs and trying to translate them into stitch I decided to cut my prints into thin strips (connoting yarn wraps), I trapped these vertically leaving small gaps between each, inbetween two pieces of dissolvable material before stitching constructive embroidery across to hold the material in place (this was influenced by patterns found in knit and weave techniques).

Using construct patterns I used my colour mixing skills on a domestic sewing machine to produce a sample with movement.
To make this more effective, I will colour mix threads more specifically to eliminate a definate transition between colours (this will include changing tensions, and spool colours)  - the digitally printed material strips will have to be thinner to allow a more delicate movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment